Thursday, March 4, 2010

cake cake keeps me awake

At midnight I got it into my head that we simply must have a chocolate cake at the earliest possible convenience. Having applied to some jobs, it seemed that then was that moment; and I had volunteers to help eat it, so I spent the next hour or so by myself in the kitchen. It was a happy humming time, strangely.

The cake recipe was standard:

1 1/3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 entire Lindt 70% chocolate bar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. milk
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 c. butter

1. Mix all dry ingredients.
2. Add milk and vanilla; soften butter and add. Beat well.
3. Beat eggs and melt chocolate; beat both of them into the mix.

I baked this in a greased and floured pan for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. A weakeningly delicious aroma promised temporary happiness to a hungry girl. Here, however, disaster struck. The cake, though done, did not want to quietly leave its pan. Pounding from the bottom and coaxing from the top did little except separate the chocolate mass into innumerable pieces. The solution, then, was to scrape the whole thing out into a pie pan, chop it up, and reseat it. Then, the frosting was made:

2 c. confectioner's sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp vanilla
Small amount of milk

All of this was whisked together and spread around the top of the pie pan, and then sprinkles (found neglected in not-my pantry) were added. Cake casserole. It would have been a failure except that crumbled cake tastes the same as cohesive cake, and none of my budsies seemed to care.

The casserole was gone by 3:00 in the morning, and no sleep was had by me for hours...

1 comment:

  1. Why do you always have troubles getting cakes out of pans?

    ReplyDelete